Diana Ferrus

Poetry, Art & Literature

Name:
Location: Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Diana Ferrus works as an administrator at the University of Western Cape. She is interested in recording the stories of black Afrikaans women, and wants to publish an anthology of short stories. This is after she did extensive research about black Afrikaans women writers. Diana is wellknown for her poem about the Khoisan woman Sarah Baartman whose remains were on display in Paris until 1986. In 2002 Diana read her poem for Sarah Baartman at the handing over of the remains to the South African government. "Iv'e come to take you home, home! Remember the veld, the lush green grass beneath the big oak trees, the air is cool there". This poem will be the title poem of her English poetry collection due for publication in August 2010.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

POEMS


Diana Ferrus's poems inspires people to write. Her poem about Sarah Baartman was one of the reasons why the remains of Sarah was returned to South Afica. Many established writers were influenced by Diana's poems and stories. Writers like Gabeba Baderoon, Selwyn Milborrow, Jason Lloyd, Vincent Oliphant, Willem Fransman jnr, Jethro Louw & many other emerging women writers speaks very highly of Diana Ferrus.

Her Afrikaans collection of poetry, “Ons Komvandaan” (We come from there) will be launched in June 2005.
My English collection, “I’ve come to take you home” will be launched in November 2005. Diana Ferrus Productions are the publishers. An anthology called “Convergences” written by herself, Sipho Mathathi and Wendy Woodward (Bush Poets) should be published by end 2005.
READ MY POETRY ON LITNET WEBSITE: http://www.litnet.co.za/poesie/ferrus03.asp
The poem "Vree volle vree" is in honour of Beyers Naude
READ MY WAR POEMS ON: http://www.litnet.co.za/war/ferrus_in.asp
The poem "Aachen" is about my father's experiences in Achen, a German town during WW2

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Diana,
I am looking for one of your poem about the Afrikaans language coming from African/slave roots and not only from European roots.This is for a present for a Flemish nun who is living and working in Israel.
Can you advise.
Many thanks,
Rory Bullen

6:21 AM  
Blogger Percy’s Poems said...

Hi Diana my name is Percy, I live in Durban and I've been writting poems from childhood. I have been motivated by so many people who have read my poems when they said I must take it to the next level. That is the reason for my sustainability. I love writting, I stay all night writing Poems and they motivate me. I am inspired to see the amazing work you are doing in Khayelisha, Kuils River and Mfuleni. I would like to talk to you more about Poetry and its future in our country, if you can please send me your email address on mqshozi@gmail.com.

Thank you,

Percy.

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home